Information Collected About You
We collect a variety of personal information about those who use our site (“Users”). Personal information is information that can be directly associated with a specific person or entity, including a person or entity’s name, address, telephone number, credit card information, bank account information, e-mail address, or information about activities that are directly linked to that person.
How We Collect Your Information
We may collect a Users’ personal information in at least four ways:
- User-input Information. We collect information that Users give us when they register on our site, make contributions through our site, or otherwise use the functions and/or features provided on our site. For example, when making a contribution, each User is required to provide his or her name, address, occupation and name of employer, credit card or bank account information, and a billing address.
- Automatically Collected Information. We also automatically collect certain types of information whenever a User interacts with us online. For example, when Users visit our site, our systems automatically collect their Internet protocol (IP) address and the type of browser that they are using.
- Web Beacons. We use “web beacons” in order to better understand your viewing preferences. Web beacons are small, graphic images on a web page, web-based document, or e-mail message that collect the IP address of the computer that the web beacon is sent to, the URL of the page the web beacon comes from, and the time that the web page was viewed. Web beacons may also be linked to certain personal information.
How We Protect Your Information
We employ a variety of physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information. For example, we store Users’ personal information behind a secure firewall and place the transaction site on a secure server. In addition, we use commercially reasonable tools and techniques to protect against unauthorized access to our systems.
No transmission of data over the Internet, however, is 100% secure. Thus, although we attempt to protect your information using industry standard security practices, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information stored or collected through our systems.
How We Use Your Information
The personal information of our web-site visitors and donors is one of our most important assets. We therefore attempt to keep that information confidential and only use or make that information available to third parties for the following limited purposes or as otherwise required by law:
- Transaction Processing. We may share the personal information of Users to third-party vendors as we deem necessary to process User contributions or other transactions that we conduct. Credit card transaction processing may be provided by one of four processors: Pay Pal, Authorize.net, YourPay/First Data, and ActBlue.com. We encourage each User to review the privacy policies of the processor(s) that is handing his or her transaction(s) for more information on how they handle personal information that they process.
- Campaign Finance Law Compliance. We are required to disclose information regarding contributions made through our systems in order to comply applicable federal, state, and local campaign finance laws. For example, federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer of individuals whose aggregate contributions in a given calendar year exceed $200.
- User Request Compliance. We may be required to disclose personal information in order to carry out requests made by Users while using our site. For example, we will share personal information with third parties as necessary to deliver an e-mail to someone you have identified or disclose a User’s return address as part of the services we provide.
- Protection of Users and Ourselves. We disclose personal information when we believe such disclosure is required to comply with the law (e.g., a lawful subpoena), protect our rights or property, or to protect our donors and supporters from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful conduct. We may also disclose personal information if we reasonably believe that an emergency involving immediate danger of death or serious physical injury to any person requires such a disclosure without delay.
- Communication with Users. We may also use a User’s personal information to communicate with that User in order to provide information requested by that User or to provide information about us or our services that we believe that User would find interesting or useful.
How We Protect Children
In accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, we do not knowingly collect, directly or passively, information from children under the age of 13. If we discover that a child has submitted information to us through any part of our site, we delete the information as soon as possible and do not use it for any purpose or disclose it to any third parties.
Links to Other Sites
We provide links to third-party websites as a service to our visitors. Users may therefore click to websites as they navigate our site. We are not responsible for the content or information collection practices of those and we encourage Users to review and understand the privacy practices of those websites before providing them with information because their privacy practices may differ from ours. Moreover, our privacy policies and practices do not apply to these websites.
We may revise this policy at any time without prior notice. Such revisions are often necessary if our practices change or we change or add new features. All Users should refer back to this page often for the latest information on privacy policies. If we do decide to change this policy, we will post a new policy on our sites and change the date at the top of the policy.